This easy apple crisp recipe is one of my family’s favorite desserts. The ingredients are simple and this is a great dessert to make when apples are in season and you’ve just come back from apple picking.
Recruit a few apple peelers because this recipe is family-sized. And, if you’d like to make a smaller batch, just cut the ingredients below by half.
Here are a few tips to Make the Best Apple Crisp:
1. What type of apples should I use to make apples crisp? I use about 1/3 granny smith and the rest fuji or gala. Granny smith apples are tangy and they hold up well when baking. Fuji or gala apples add sweetness. McIntosh, Honeycrisp, and Pink Lady apples also have a great tang and tartness balance.
2. Slice apples thin so they cook all the way through.
3. Your apple crisp should be bubbling when you take it out of the oven. To be sure the apples are cooked all the way through, check with a fork. If the apples are not tender, bake for another 5-10 minutes.
4. I recommend covering with foil while baking. This will keep your apple crisp from drying out.
5. Apple crisp is great alone but even better with whipped topping or vanilla ice cream.
That’s it! If you make a big batch of yummy apple crisp and love it as much as we do, leave a message in the comment section below.